Oakland Park Baseball Forum Index Oakland Park Baseball
Show up every Sunday at 10:30 in parks in and around Oakland!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm for how I acted: Self-shit-talking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oakland Park Baseball Forum Index -> Shit-talking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
retep
Player/Manager

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: I'm for how I acted: Self-shit-talking Reply with quote

Hey everyone.I want to say I am sorry for exploding after today's game. Regardless of thought of rational behind it, I stress that I can not act like that, and felt it was wrong.

I hope you all take this, and are okay with me playing in the future.
AntMoOAK
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutly no offense taken. You spoke your mind. Although toes may have been "stepped on"... There is still no crying in baseball. Candor is appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Baseball=Life
Baseball Deity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all good, Peter... We've all fucked up once in a while. I'm on the verge of taking steps with the Rules to try to prevent blowout games from happening. Everyone, stay tuned about that. Without the blowout scores, we can avoid this dynamic to begin with.

- Leo Durocher
Joe shmoe
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter i will never forgive you. have scarred me mentally for life.

and whats worse you were drunk, i cant believe anyone would drink at a baseball.

just kidding sucks that we only got a have game though oh well next week
after all baseball is just 5 days 21 hours and 23 minutes
retep
Player/Manager

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, I was not drunk!
Joe shmoe
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know you were not
Southpaw Slim
Kenesaw Mountain Landis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree, Peter, so I'm going to impose a one-drink limit after yesterday's outburst. After that, you're cut off.
retep
Player/Manager

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I has was a half-drink!
retep
Player/Manager

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why am I still the only one to apologize?

Oh well.
TheLegend
Babe Ruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming that that was directed at me (I don't know who else it could've been directed at), I don't feel like I have anything to apologize for. I feel like the actions taken against me more than justified my responses, and frankly, if the situation were to repeat itself I would almost certainly react the same way. I don't feel guilty, I don't feel wrong, and I don't feel like misrepresenting myself with a bs pc apology.

I feel like the situation was being handled rationally and respectably until you made it personal Peter, and once you cross the line and start personally disrespecting me, I'm not going to feel bad about disrespecting you back, and I'm not going to apologize for it. Especially since I feel like I took the worst of it.

With that being said, I'm not the type to hold a grudge and I don't expect that any of us are, so I'm happy to consider this all a part of the past and to play on.
retep
Player/Manager

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you know where I am coming from:

-In any other context, walking off from others is not acceptable, nor a sign of situation that “was being handled rationally and respectably,” as you put it.

-Never realizing that one’s actions could always be better and improved upon does not show maturity or a sense of responsibility.

-My apology was not BS, and I would be even more pissed off reading that if I chose to. However, I try to help with the group, I often work between games, and work so that as many people can have an excellent experience. I respect the group, and did feel bad about the way I acted.

-In turn, I expect (and so often see!) a sense of social responsibility between the members of the group.

-The disrespect I showed you (and I am sorry for that) was in response to:
a. Your utter contempt for how your actions for personal fulfillment were
bad for the group, and
b. Your direct assertions that others were not doing their best to
participate, which WAS rude and belittling to others, in addition to
myself.

-While this incident did illuminate an issue that needed to be dealt with, this is not a goof practice. While I was pissed at my boss, and I somehow felt that leaving the office in the middle of our weekly report wasn’t the sharpest action to take.

-To the fact that you said I was “talking to you like a child” that day, I must state that I don’t treat children that way. Granted, I was disrespectful to you. But you see, children I know and work with don’t pout when things don’t go their way, but rather continually express a respect for others. With this respect, I in turn respect the fact that they will make mistakes, and treat their mistakes events that can and MUST be learnt from. But I must stress that the respect if two-way. Ken, with the risk of again being disrespectful to you, I must say that your initial actions did not warrant the respect of a child.

-Then again, you may recall readily and aggressively yelling at a child at one of are games for a mistake that many people make.

-I know others feel this way, but feel absolutely alright with no one else stepping up and saying anything about it. Harmony within the group is important. I have no issues with being the “lone nut” who will complain and taking the fall.

-Everyone who disagrees with me can do so as loud and as often as they like.

-Someone in our group once told me—in response to my own actions—that no one person should make or break this group. I have the guts to look at my self and said “I fucked up—big time.” That takes strength and discipline.

But lost in all this is the root need: Let’s Play Ball!
TheLegend
Babe Ruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retep wrote:

-In any other context, walking off from others is not acceptable, nor a sign of situation that “was being handled rationally and respectably,” as you put it.

I was standing around discussing the situation at hand for a solid stretch of time. One of the (many) reasons I tried to leave in the first place was because the group showed no interest in improving a situation that I found absolutely unacceptable. I tried to work out a compromise and no one else was interested. Once others were actually willing to deal with the situation, I was more than happy to discuss it with them rationally and respectfully.

Quote:

-Never realizing that one’s actions could always be better and improved upon does not show maturity or a sense of responsibility.

Obviously our viewpoints differ. I don't go through my life apologizing for every less than perfect result. When I apologize it means I think my actions were wrong and that I'm going to try not to repeat them, which is not the case in this scenario. There's a long stretch of road between "less than ideal" and "wrong".

Quote:

-My apology was not BS, and I would be even more pissed off reading that if I chose to. However, I try to help with the group, I often work between games, and work so that as many people can have an excellent experience. I respect the group, and did feel bad about the way I acted.

-In turn, I expect (and so often see!) a sense of social responsibility between the members of the group.

I never meant to suggest that your apology was anything but sincere.

Quote:
-The disrespect I showed you (and I am sorry for that) was in response to:
a. Your utter contempt for how your actions for personal fulfillment were
bad for the group

b. Your direct assertions that others were not doing their best to
participate, which WAS rude and belittling to others, in addition to
myself.

I strongly feel that my actions were for the good of the group. I feel that my actions directly led to a vast improvement for our group in the future. Finishing that game would've been bad for the group. As I stated in the other thread on the subject, blowout games can only breed bad sportsmanship. If you're up 20 runs, you're either giving 100% and trying to run up the score, or you're not- which is the definition of playing half-hearted.

Quote:

-While this incident did illuminate an issue that needed to be dealt with, this is not a goof practice. While I was pissed at my boss, and I somehow felt that leaving the office in the middle of our weekly report wasn’t the sharpest action to take.

If you weren't actively ignoring my long list of complaints and calling me a liar you would know that improving the rules of our games was only one of many many reasons I wanted to leave the game. After simply trying to discuss my points and being ignored I felt that quitting the game was the most efficient way to:
a. protest the bad sportsmanship stired up by blowout games
b. avoid getting sick and
c. spend time doing something enjoyable will my best friend who was in town for a short period of time.
d. improve the way the league is run for future games.
and it retrospect, I was successful on all four counts (although I did get sick this week... grumble)

Quote:

-To the fact that you said I was “talking to you like a child” that day, I must state that I don’t treat children that way. Granted, I was disrespectful to you. But you see, children I know and work with don’t pout when things don’t go their way, but rather continually express a respect for others. With this respect, I in turn respect the fact that they will make mistakes, and treat their mistakes events that can and MUST be learnt from. But I must stress that the respect if two-way. Ken, with the risk of again being disrespectful to you, I must say that your initial actions did not warrant the respect of a child.

-Then again, you may recall readily and aggressively yelling at a child at one of are games for a mistake that many people make.

I know I've been hard on people in terms of baseball. I've yelled at people, but I've always yelled truthful and useful information (not to suggest that yelling it was ideal). I know my emotions flare when it comes to competition, and I've apologized and tried not to do that. You weren't talking to me about baseball. You weren't talking to me about our group. You were, and in my opinion still are, attacking me as a person. I've never called anyone in our group a liar. I've never stood and screamed at anyone the way you did me. Never.

Secondly. I again take offense to your implications that I was anything less than honest about my motivations for leaving. I will clarify for you again that this for me was not at all about "pouting when things don't go my way". Blowouts breed badsportsmanship. If I had been on the other team, I still would've done the exact same thing.

edit: and furthurmore, it's ridiculous to even suggest that I don't care about this group, as influential a figure as I've been in the growth and dynamics of OPB. Yes, I have been a lone dissenter in this group dozens of times, but the majority of my lone dissentions have led to the improvement and growth of the league. I have been directly and solely responsible for the initial and the continual participation of perhaps more of our players than anyone here but Scott. Everyone I know knows about this league, and the people I know who may actually be able to play baseball, hear about this league every week. So don't suggest that I don't care. Don't suggest that because you don't like my politics or the way I get things done, that you somehow care more about this league and the continued enjoyment of everyone involved than I do. That's absolutely and completely ridiculous.
dtrizzle
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: responce to ken Reply with quote

I was ‘bout to back you up, TheLegend, but since you my best friend and shit, nigga’s might think I’m biased. So instead, imma be anti-baised and hate on your punk ass. I must admit, your logic seems quite sound. But consider the following:

“No mistake is more common and more fatuous than appealing to logic in cases which are beyond her jurisdiction.” - Samuel Butler, writer (1835-1902)

Ahhhhhh nigga, NOW WHAT!!!
Joe shmoe
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote/thelegend c. spend time doing something enjoyable will my best friend who was in town for a short period of time. ]

[/quotedtrizzle I was ‘bout to back you up, TheLegend, but since you my best friend and shit,]

well fuck both ya, and i would like to annouce my new best friend is umm... fuck ill to back to you on that
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oakland Park Baseball Forum Index -> Shit-talking All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: