Well, well -- Kendall's a Cub

That's MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL. Talk amongst yourselves. Go to a game once in a while.

Will the A's be buyers or sellers in the two weeks between now and the July 31 trading deadline?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:36 pm

Buyers! They're not out of the playoff hunt yet!
No votes
Sellers. Are you kidding? They're double digits behind the Angels.
33%
They're going to split the difference and make some contradictory moves (like the Brewers did last year).
67%

Total votes: 3

gohlkus
Player/Manager

Well, well -- Kendall's a Cub

Post by gohlkus » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:36 pm

Considering our discussion on Saturday about Kendall playing a couple more years, this is very interesting timing.

To recap, I said that it was a foregone conclusion that Kendall would play another couple of years at least.

I got (irrationally) angry when Richard said "but there's no way that Oakland is going to re-sign him," which of course meant that he inferred that I thought Oakland would re-sign him, which of course is ridiculous.

There is no way in hell I would ever suggest Oakland would have re-signed Kendall. I responded that since there are fewer than 30 legitimate big-league catchers around, even with a .200 average, Kendall would undoubtedly be playing for some team with a young pitching staff.

But even I underestimated how little Billy Beane wanted Kendall around... he got rid of him today. For Beane, enough was enough (and I don't blame him)... and it's (probably) Suzuki and Bowen the rest of the way.

This was a good move no matter if the A's become buyers or sellers. But in the context of the losing streak and Harden hitting the DL one more time, it doesn't look too good.
I meant to put something here that reminded everyone that Peter is a big ninnyhead

Joe shmoe
Perennial All-Star

Post by Joe shmoe » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:31 pm

yea my bad about interruupting

but i am truly surprised that the A's were able to deal kendall, thou i guess the cubs are the only team in contention without a catcher. and kendall does have good second half numbers with a 323 avg after the allstar game . but as you said jason a team with a young staff might over look his poor offense. so maybe if he bats 280 and calls a great games for 5 mil is worth it.

but i doubt he will hit that well
So long, and thanks for all the fish. - Douglas Adams

Baseball=Life
Baseball Deity

Post by Baseball=Life » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:58 am

Another reason he'll fit in with the Cubs is actually 3 reasons: D. Lee, A. Soriano, and Aramis Ramirez. Kendall's anemic offense will be less outrageous considering they have dependable bats in their lineup and will be able to score without him.
"Baseball is like church, many attend, few understand"

- Leo Durocher