Oakland Park Baseball Forum Index Oakland Park Baseball
Show up every Sunday at 10:30 in parks in and around Oakland!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Schadenfreude
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Snrub
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Schadenfreude Reply with quote

It's never good to see a talented young player go down, but how good is it for the A's that Liriano is done? This could mean the difference between a first-round knockout and a trip to the World Series. With Liriano the Twins had an excellent chance of taking the Central, in which case we would have to play them in the ALDS. This would be a tough series for us without Liriano (Santana in 2 of 5 games); with Liriano, fuhgeddaboutit. With Liriano out we now have a path to the World Series through Detroit and Minnesota, though the Yanks might have something to say about it.
Blancito21
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"With Liriano out we now have a path to the World Series through Detroit and Minnesota, though the Yanks might have something to say about it."

Really? You think?

That may be the understatement of our generation.

Detroit has the best .era in the majors and veteran leadership/experience. They will not be a cakewalk.

Minnesota sans Liriano is less threatening but the teams are essentially the same so it would come down to the bullpens and you have to give them the slight edge in that dept.

I won't even get into the Yanks at the current time.
Baseball=Life
Baseball Deity

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonderman has been terrible in the 2nd half. Verlander has also been incredibly inconsistent and weak in the 2nd half. Zumaya has a severely strained wrist. Miner has been banished to mop-up duty. Maroth served up a HR in his return from the DL, looking like he did when he lost 20 games in 2003. I've never been all that impressed by Robertson. Kenny Rogers --- I can't criticize, he's been solid. Ledezma has also been good, in a limited role. Closer Jones is shakey, even they admit that. Grilli's getting hit, Miller's untested, Rodney's been good.

Note: I'm not addressing the minnesota/detroit contrast, just reflecting on Detroit for now.

- Leo Durocher
Mr. Snrub
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detroit has been a sub-.500 team since the All-Star break. Most of their players were playing way over their heads in the first half and have since come back to earth. Aside from the pitching issues Scott mentioned, their lineup has no OBP and they have not been slugging enough recently to make up for it. Despite their record, I think Detroit will be the worst AL team in the playoffs.

The Yanks will be the strongest team, but in a short series the Twins have an excellent chance since they'll be able to start Johan twice (assuming they win the wild card). This would be the ideal situation for the A's, since Santana will have much less of an impact in a 7-game series; I think we'd have a much better chance of beating them than NY.
Blancito21
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know all the things you guys mentioned but once you get into the playoffs it's a completely different story. I have a feeling Pudge can work his magic on that staff in a short series they could be just as tough. No, they are not a good .OBP team anymore and they have stopped mashing but since when has being a good .OBP team helped the A's in the playoffs? Jones WAS shaky, here are his stats pre & post break:

G GS W L SV CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB K ERA WHIP BAA
33 0 1 5 23 0 0 34 42 22 22 3 7 11 5.82 1.44 .302
21 0 1 1 12 0 0 20 20 8 5 1 2 13 2.21 1.08 .253

And if we're talking about closers, Street's season can be defined as inconsistent as well no?

It's all about peaking at the right time. All I'm saying is if the Tigers peak in that first round (Note: I did not even pick them to make the playoffs in our pool) it will be a good series.

We may not have to face Santana twice. If this thing comes down to the wire he will be pitching in that final series if not final game against Chicago which would not allow him to start until game 3 most likely. Even if that is not the case, facing him in game 1 in the Bronx is a far less daunting task than at the Dome. If he happens to lose....

P.S. Of AL teams the Yanks have the second best .BAA him and he has his second worst WHIP versus them.
Baseball=Life
Baseball Deity

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blancito21 wrote:
We may not have to face Santana twice.

Who's "we"? Are you identifying as an A's fan, Dan? That would be rad if you were. I fear you only mean the Yanks.

Oh, shit, the Bronx reference suggests you do mean New York.

- Leo Durocher
Tayster
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an interesting turn of events, Harden is back. I'm sure AL teams didn't like to see that very much. Now hopefully he wont kill himself again -_-
gohlkus
Player/Manager

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming the seeding stays as is --

If the Tigers were smart, they would set it up so that Kenny Rogers goes in games 1 and 4, especially since game 4 would be at the Coliseum. I am ignorant of whether they're doing this or not... it just seems like the logical move considering his success at the Coliseum. This year he was 2-0 there, with a .220 OppBA -- but his ERA was 4.85, suggesting he could give up some runs.

From 2003-2005, Rogers went 8-1 against the A's, with a 3.54 ERA. (3.43, 4-1 at the Coliseum.) Scary.

Twins-Yankees will be an extremely interesting matchup to watch. The Twins are my third favorite team, and the Yankees my least favorite, so it's clear I'm rooting for....

...the Yankees, since I think the A's have a better chance to win at Yankee Stadium than they do at the Homerdome. The Twins have the best home record in major league baseball this year. Plus the A's are 7-3 against the Yanks this year, and 4-6 against the Twins.

Anyway, go A's!

On an unrelated note, I think I may put some money on the Brewers making the playoffs next year. They're right there, especially considering how weak the Cards seem to be now.
gohlkus
Player/Manager

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! My entire message is now meaningless.

Stupid Tigers. Fading faster than a chameleon in the Arctic. I'm sure the Yankees are salivating.

The Twins, on the other hand, will be a challenge, especially in the Dome... but let's hope the A's deep pitching staff and the timely hitting of Frank Thomas et al. carry the day.
Baseball=Life
Baseball Deity

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

East Coast Media Bias. Fucking Mets/Yanks causing all Bay Area people to have to tape all the games, as opposed to watching them when they actually occur.

- Leo Durocher
Blancito21
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baseball=Life wrote:
East Coast Media Bias. Fucking Mets/Yanks causing all Bay Area people to have to tape all the games, as opposed to watching them when they actually occur.

I thought it's all about the networks ratings scale? That's not a media bias, it's a fact of life. More people are going to watch a primetime baseball game in that market over the bay area.
Baseball=Life
Baseball Deity

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point is that it's unfair to us in the Bay Area. I'm not talking about profitability and increasing ad revenues for the networks, I'm talking about what would have been more fair to the viewers. It's bad enough people can't see A's highlights on ESPN and Baseball Tonight throughout the season, now folks have to find ways out of work as well, surely you can see how that would be incredibly frustrating.

- Leo Durocher

Last edited by Baseball=Life on Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blancito21
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baseball=Life wrote:
It's bad enough people can't see A's highlights on ESPN and Baseball Tonight throughout the season, now folks have to find ways out of work as well, surely you can see how that would be incredibly frustrating.

Agreed.

You really think ESPN short changes the fan base here on highlights? Interesting. I'll have to look out for that.

Sorry about this but out of respect to the A's picthing staff, especially with Harden seemingly back at full strength....GO TWINS!!

Last edited by Blancito21 on Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
gohlkus
Player/Manager

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lifted from an email I just sent:

Actually, the schedule seems idiotic to me.

Why not do this: put the Yanks on at 7 pm Eastern and put the A's on after that -- 10:30 Eastern, 9:30 Central, 7:30 our time. That would be much more reasonable.

9:30 pm I guess is a little late for Twins fans... but it's a Friday night, and I would think they're much more likely to watch it live than they would at 3 pm. Twins fans are getting fucked over almost as much as we are.

I'm sure more people both out east AND here would watch a 10:30 pm EDT/7:30 pm PDT game on a Friday night than a 4 pm EDT/1 pm PDT game.

Right?

And, uh, yeah, Scott's right about the lack of highlights on ESPN. I notice all the time how A's games get 30 seconds toward the end of the show when at least 25% of what they report on is Red Sox-Yankees. ESPN even showed the ENTIRE SERIES in which the Yanks swept the Red Sox, remember? Why do they think we (i.e. baseball fans across the country, whether in other large population centers or out in the middle of nowhere) care?

You could argue that since they're already most of the way through their cycle of producing shows like Sportscenter and Baseball Tonight when West Coast games end, it doesn't make sense to take out a bunch of stuff they already produced to put in stuff that happened later. But that phenomenon does display an underlying slant in favor of stuff that happens in their time zone, because if they actually cared about fairly representing West Coast baseball, they would change how they produce their shows. The fact is that baseball that happens in Seattle, Oakland, Los Angeles, and San Diego (to name a few) is no less inherently interesting than what happens in New York, Washington, Chicago, and Miami (to name a few). But that's the message that is sent.
Joe shmoe
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i doubt that people are other than west coasters are down for a 730pm start.

seth has the games from the boston and ny series back when boston won it. and the shortest games are like three and a half hours, without commerials . so say you add 30 to 45 minutes and the game ends here a little past 11. on the east coast that same game ends at 2 in the morning. thats is just too late for most folks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oakland Park Baseball Forum Index -> MLB All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: