Oakland Park Baseball Forum Index Oakland Park Baseball
Show up every Sunday at 10:30 in parks in and around Oakland!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Schadenfreude
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Southpaw Slim
Kenesaw Mountain Landis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blancito21 wrote:
You really think ESPN short changes the fan base here on highlights? Interesting. I'll have to look out for that.

Here are two examples:

1) The last Baseball Tonight I saw spent 21.6 seconds talking about the actual A's game. The Yankees usually get around 3 minutes of coverage or more.

2) When Mussina flirts with a no-no, Sportscenter and Baseball Tonight will show him pitching in 3 or 4 different innings during the recap. When Zito took a no-no into the 8th in Arlington with especially nasty stuff, they started the highlight reel at DeRosa's hit to break it up.
Blancito21
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last Baseball tonight usually airs at 12:00 EST or 9:00 PST. They are not allowed to show any highlights until the game is over. An A's game that begins at 7:05 or 7:30, is probably not going to end until Baseball tonight is either over or close to ending. In the meantime, what are they supposed to spend their time on...analysis of the Devil Rays and Nats??

You need to watch a West Coast sports show, a later SportsCenter or watch the next mornings Baseball tonight. Listen, I can't watch the Yankees game live tonight either. I usually don't get home until after 8 but I can't alter time zones. Maybe we can start a rival network that works on West Coast time.
Tayster
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't really matter when games end, ESPN being the standard for sports television, should be completely unbiased. I get that it's recorded in New York, ect, but they don't even talk about west coast games during the next day. I got pretty pissed off when they started talking about the postseason once the matchups were determined, and they heavily, and I mean heavily focused on the yankees and mets series, leaving like a minute for the padres and A's series in the middle of the program. This wasn't highlights of games mind you, this was just talking about the matchups.

Not that baseball is the only victim in this case. Last year during hockey season (yes, I know it's hockey and no one cares) ESPN mostly showed Rangers highlights, while arguably one of the best teams in the league, who just happen to be in San Jose, rarely got a mention (keep in mind that one Shark player won the MVP, and another scored to most goals in the league).

If you want more examples, watch football wrapups and see how much they talk about the Giants, Redskins, and Patriots, vs. how much they talk about say, the Seahawks, Raiders and the 49ers. I'm not even going to mention how biased they are in College Football, because that just gets borderline nasty.

I don't watch ESPN really any more because all of this, except when there happens to be an A's game on or something. East Coast may be a media center, but keep personal biases out of it.
El Pedro
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: I just have to say... Reply with quote

If the situation were reversed and the Earth was spinning the opposite direction, there would be a West Coast bias and no one in the Bay Area would be complaining and Yankee/Red Sox fans would be bitching. So I say, as a West Coaster and an A's fan, tough shit for us. Its a product of time, convenience and capitalism that we don't get to see all the analysts giving verbal Handys (that one is for you, Pat) to the West Coast Teams.

But on the flip side, in the Bay Area our weather is better, there is fantastic greenery, people are more laid back, social consciousness is encouraged, our players have better weather to compete in at home, and fuck it, life in general is good. So to everyone... quit bitching about an East Coast bias. Its not some glorious injustice... its because they are 3 hours ahead of us. And you know what? I'm okay with that because the A's get to be the "underdog"... which makes a Marco Who? RBI double that much more satisfying.

I'd love for a later game on Friday, but shit happens and I'm just glad I got tickets.
Blancito21
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said my friend, well said. That is why you are my boy. Level-headedness is a wonderful attribute.
Tayster
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you're right, to me it's just a little odd that the supposed unbiased media is very biased... trust me, if I had a choice of watching something that was biased towards the west coast, I would absolutely watch it, but I don't, and it gets under my skin. I'm sure midwesterners are even more unhappy than us...
Baseball=Life
Baseball Deity

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look guys, this is an undebateable issue. The "coverage" of today's games was appalling. Key to note is the fact that the A's game was done hours before the Yanks/Tigers game even began. Both were shown on ESPN.

The Sportscenter that debuted after the Yanks/Tigers finished spent literally 24 minutes on that game, including step by step highlights, manager interviews, Baseball Tonight discussion, and even Joe Morgan / Jon Miller thoughts. Even included was a detailed preview of tomorrow's game. All of this happened before the A's game was even mentioned, despite the fact that the A's game clinched the series.

Then it was time to "cover" the A's/Twins game 3. They spent a whopping 6 minutes literally on the whole story, then went right back to the ad nauseum Yanks/Tigers coverage.

It's fucking bullshit, and no one can tell me otherwise. The Yanks/Tigers game didn't decide anything, the series wasn't over. The A's/Twins game was decisive. Plus, it had the bigger story of the A's breaking the 0/9 trend of failing to clinch a postseason series (hadn't since 1992).

The question is, what do the A's have to do to even get 50% the coverage as the other games? Fuck!!!!!!!

- Leo Durocher
El Pedro
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Do you think Billy Beane cares about ESPN coverage? Reply with quote

Man forget wanting more ESPN coverage. Just tape the game and watch it over and over if you want highlights. Or listen to Ray Fosse after the game on AM 1550.

I for one am not sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for ESPN to notice us. Highlight coverage does not validate or invalidate our games/season. And actually, they often don't know what they are talking about anyways (see: Bradley v. Loaiza coffee dramatization in Game 2*).

Sure I'd like to see them say great things about us. But I guess my point is that there are several pros and cons to being a west coast team, and it comes with the territory. And what a great fucking territory it is.

Bye bye Twinkies.

*To make a small side point... that whole coffee spill thing pissed me off. It made me realize that there is little difference between Sports Media and Entertainment Media/Tabloids/Etc. They are just hunting for drama and side stories so that they can hear themselves talk more. I'm glad the A's go under the radar for the most part, because we don't have to hear so much bullshit. Which, by the way, has negative side effects... for example, the coverage of A-Rod-gate was ad nauseum earlier in the season and possibly contributed to the perpetuation of his slump.
Southpaw Slim
Kenesaw Mountain Landis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: I Smell Controversy! $$$$ Reply with quote

Yes, Peter. The Bradley spill was overblown to the proportion that it has even been referred to as "Coffeegate". Even Sutcliffe and O'Brien were talking about it TWO DAYS LATER, with O'Brien going so far as to compliment Loaiza's handling of the situation. The guy looked down, saw a spill, and changed his shirt. He knew it was an accident from the start and didn't have to make a big deal out of it, unlike the boys in the booth who were salivating at the chance to rip into MB.
Baseball=Life
Baseball Deity

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Do you think Billy Beane cares about ESPN coverage? Reply with quote

El Pedro wrote:
Man forget wanting more ESPN coverage. Just tape the game and watch it over and over if you want highlights. Or listen to Ray Fosse after the game on AM 1550.

You just don't get it. There's more to baseball than the Oakland A's. It's like this: baseball is a drug to which I'm addicted. The Oakland A's are just one type of the drug that I like. ESPN is the dealer that has all the drugs (highlights ostensibly from all teams). I have to return to the dealer to get my fix, no matter how bad the dealer treats me, and no matter how limited my access to my favorite drug (the A's) is from the dealer. Your solutions achieve nothing for my fix. Go ahead and try to defend the status quo for the 3rd time with some new argument, and you'll fail yet again. Your initial unsympathetic stance is the only one that cannot be rebutted ("tough shit").

- Leo Durocher
Blancito21
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that's undebateable is that WE (I say we cause I know the love for baseball you speak of) have a drug problem for which there is no solution. I'm guessing that your last post was your way of admitting that you're just bitching but also that ESPN is doing nothing wrong? But keeping with that analogy, if I were ESPN I'd be doing the same thing. As a dealer my job is to serve my largest clientele because they will make me the most money. Why should I lower my profit in order to please 23 clients on one block when I have 2,300 begging for more on the other side?

No matter how many ways you slice it or analyze it, there are more people watching baseball highlights (especially at the time ESPN shows them) that want to see the Yankees win or lose and how it happened than what happened with the A's. That's not bullshit and you can't tell me otherwise. People like you and the guys we play with are not the norm in this region of the country (from what I can tell in my short time here). While you're sitting there waiting for 6 min. of As highlights, most other casual fans out here are doing something outside or being creative or working out. The over-analysis and discussion is only regurgitated (sp) and digested by sickos like us. I don't do market research for them but it's a pretty legitimate assessment based on weather, culture and other sociological factors that more people are inside watching ESPN back East than out here.

So what games would you spend more time on as the nation's drug dealer of choice? This is not unfair or bullshit, it just makes sense from a business standpoint which is what ESPN is before it's a "unbiased" sports channel. You just need a new drug or you need to infect more West Coaster's with your illness.

Look at it this way, there's a reason why there are so few player's in the major's from the Northeast compared to the West Coast. Guys out here are out playing and practicing instead of sitting on their asses watching ESPN waitng for A's analysis.
El Pedro
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you think Billy Beane cares about ESPN coverage? Reply with quote

Baseball=Life wrote:

You just don't get it. There's more to baseball than the Oakland A's.

Thanks for imparting your wisdom and rhetorical mastery on me. For the longest time I had been so confused about why some of the baseball men on the field weren't wearing green and gold.

Check your condescending tone... its annoying.

Additionally, I'd like to sum my argument from the last 2 posts regarding the minimal coverage:
Post 1 - Tough shit.
Post 2 - Deal with it (with suggestions for how to look on the bright side).

Perhaps I am not a Baseball Media Revolutionary fighting the status quo with a Che shirt on (no no... make that a sillouette of Peter Gammons' head) ... I guess there are more important things to be revolutionary about. And I felt a need to engage in this conversation because on a grand scale of things, there are much larger inequalities that exist in the world than minimal coverage of the A's on baseball tonight.

All that having been said, I will choose to withdraw further from the discussion. I am too annoyed by sophomoric debate tactics that proclaim victory...

Baseball=Life wrote:
Go ahead and try to defend the status quo for the 3rd time with some new argument, and you'll fail yet again.

Jesus Scott, I can almost picture you saying that atop an aircraft carrier (the S.S. Scutaro) with a big banner in the background: "Mission Accomplished."[/quote]
Baseball=Life
Baseball Deity

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you think Billy Beane cares about ESPN coverage? Reply with quote

El Pedro and I thumb-wrestled this one out today at the field. 5 torn thumb ligaments later, we came to the conclusion that baseball rules.

- Leo Durocher
Tayster
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem with the entire ESPN thing is that they're theoretically supposed to be a completely unbiased TV network. I'd have nothing wrong with ESPN covering the East Coast, if they were to say something to the effect of ESPN, from New York. I understand there's more people watching from that side of the country, but admit it already.

Or hell, make a goddam west coast version of ESPN. There's like 80 ESPN channels, I'm sure there's money to be had which focuses on west coast teams (you could even thrown in teams from like Colorado, Arizona, ect), and broadcast it from Los Angeles or something.

PS: My gripe isn't only about the A's not getting coverage. There's plenty of other west coast teams in this regard (giants, mariners, warriors, trailblazers, clippers, supersonics, sharks just to name a few. And yes, I'm leaving the lakers out of this since they're about as overhyped as any other team in the country).
Southpaw Slim
Kenesaw Mountain Landis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tayster wrote:
Or hell, make a goddam west coast version of ESPN. There's like 80 ESPN channels, I'm sure there's money to be had which focuses on west coast teams (you could even thrown in teams from like Colorado, Arizona, ect), and broadcast it from Los Angeles or something.

You mean Fox Sports Net? They localize their coverage, and still spend more time talking about the Yankees.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oakland Park Baseball Forum Index -> MLB All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: