Oakland Park Baseball Forum Index Oakland Park Baseball
Show up every Sunday at 10:30 in parks in and around Oakland!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Holy Shit! A's Moving to Fremont
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Snrub
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Holy Shit! A's Moving to Fremont Reply with quote

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2652436

This sucks royal dick! Isn't there enough available industrial space in downtown Oakland to build a new stadum and a fruity "baseball village?"
Joe shmoe
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well this move sucks for all of us in oakland, but it is the best move for the A's, fremont, mlb, the entire bay area, and san jose. and its not even that bad for oakland, you just have to catch bart what 3 more stops?

this helps the A's cause they will finally get the nice BASEBALL studium they deserve and need. and people will travel far and wide to see a new ball park just ask a giant's fan (they arent there to watch the giant's are they?). and fremont is the middle ground, the A's are going as close to san jose with out actually going there and at the same time they are still close to there oakland fan base.

obiviously this helps fremont greatly cause it gives a reason one would want to got to fremont, other than the future home of the A's what do they have a fry's computer store?

it helps mlb for the same reasons it helps the A's, new ball parks are just flat out good for bussiness. isnt that why the new york yankees are building a new park or is there something wrong with the current one

this move helps the bay area cause it force bart to build more, for example they have to build a line to san jose now. they have been on the fence about it for so long a move like his will finally force them to build bart to san jose. which is something that neds to happen very badly.

but to be fair oakland should have built a new stadium for them but they were never very serious about keeping the A's. i hope that oakland uses the money that they would have used on a new stadium to fix the schools or something. oakland and the A's never seemed to get along. it just always felt like the A's were 20 and still living at home with mom and dad, yea well rent is cheap but its kinda lame. and who the hell wants to live in east oakland anyways.

so yeah it blows that the A's are leaving oakland but it wont be all that bad, hell maybe the owners will go nuts and spend some cash on some good players. ahh one can dream, one can dream
Blancito21
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all the hallowed ground that is Yankees Stadium it is a shit hole that is only topped by Shea in terms of raw, unbridled hideousness on the inside. The stadium itself (shape, color, size) is ok by today's standard but the price for tix makes the experience unbearable. The game itself is usually awesome but the corridors, ramps, seats and style is pretty atrocious. I'm not going to get into the the reasons for the new stadium from a financial standpoint because we all ready know this is going to be the king of all stadiums/mall/hotel/sports complex but strictly from a baseball standpoint it will mirror the olds stadium's historic components and that's all I can hope for.

I can't comment on the Fremont A's.
Joe shmoe
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while yes the fremont A's sound horrible. but i feel that the move will be a good one for the A's.

hey at least it sounds better than the washington nationals
Tayster
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt they will actually change their name to Fremont A's. They'd most likely keep Oakland in their name. Worse case they do something like the angels.... California A's anyone? Bay Area A's?

Or... Oakland A's of Fremont? Twisted Evil

Anyhoo, there's no way they were gonna stay in Oakland, the talks of a stadium have been waaaay too long going. I think the current owner is a bit fed up with all of it, which can be seen when he basically told Oakland Council to find a place where they'd like them to move, he's sick of spending money for prospective sites which yield no backing.

At least they're staying in the bay area.
Southpaw Slim
Kenesaw Mountain Landis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe shmoe wrote:
while yes the fremont A's sound horrible. but i feel that the move will be a good one for the A's.

hey at least it sounds better than the washington nationals

I think it sounds worlds better than the San Hosayayayay's. Besides, while we're mentioning Shea, it's not like the Mets play in New York itself. They play in Flushing, NY. So they could still remain the Oakland A's while playing in Fremont.
tallguy
Cy Young

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, sorry Nick, but it's not the same thing.

See, Flushing is technically a city/town/neighborhood/whatever in Queens county, which is one of the five boroughs of New York City. So they are in "New York" still, since when one says New York that generally refers to the 5 boroughs, whereas Fremont is not part of Oakland in any way, AFAIK.

Fremont A's would suck, they should keep it the Oakland A's just because it sounds so much better. You can't name a baseball team after a piddling little city like Fremont. Back home Fremont wouldn't even be called a city, we'd call it a town.
Blancito21
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallguy wrote:
Ah, sorry Nick, but it's not the same thing.

See, Flushing is technically a city/town/neighborhood/whatever in Queens county, which is one of the five boroughs of New York City. So they are in "New York" still, since when one says New York that generally refers to the 5 boroughs, whereas Fremont is not part of Oakland in any way, AFAIK.

Fremont A's would suck, they should keep it the Oakland A's just because it sounds so much better. You can't name a baseball team after a piddling little city like Fremont. Back home Fremont wouldn't even be called a city, we'd call it a town.

I'm impressed and proud with the Son of England's knowledge of Gotham.

Also, if Nick's logic were true the Yanks would be the Bronx Yankees. NYC is the 5 boroughs, people just tend to call Manhattan NYC because it looks most like a "city" and anything sent to Manhattan is adressed New York, NY.

Apparently, they will be called the San Jose A's of Fremont. I'm sorry to all A's fans. Honestly. That's hurrendous.
Joe shmoe
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well danny that just heats up the rivalery between San Jose A's of Fremont and Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim for the worst name ever!!!

I just made myself sad Sad
AntMoOAK
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way the name stays as the Oakland A's. People hate Oakland. San Jose is sexy and is where Wolff wants to be anyway. The move to Fremont allows him to be on the South Bay periphery (For some people Fremont is the Ebay, for some the South bay) while not infringing on the Giants territorial rights. As Selig says... they (the Giants) don't have rights to the name San Jose. Knowing they won't be called the Oakland A's, I can only hope for something like the Bay Area or East Bay A's... Those choices allows Oakland to save face somewhat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blancito21
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

San Jose is sexy???

I've only been there once for a concert and I tell you, while the city itself was decent looking, it's inhabitants weren't the least bit sexy. urgrhgh!!!
Tayster
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blancito21 wrote:
San Jose is sexy???

I've only been there once for a concert and I tell you, while the city itself was decent looking, it's inhabitants weren't the least bit sexy. urgrhgh!!!

Hey! I'm in San Jose!
Joe shmoe
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Blancito21 wrote:
San Jose is sexy???

Tayster wrote:
Hey! I'm in San Jose!

point and case daniel
AntMoOAK
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blancito21 wrote:
San Jose is sexy???

Sexy as in the flavor of the month... the new gal in the office. Other than that, SJ is a So Cal kinda town. Sort of like a big ass Riverside with technology.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gohlkus
Player/Manager

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard makes a good point -- at least it's not the Washington Nationals.

More to the point: it's not the Portland Beavers, or the Las Vegas Swingers.

Not that those cities necessarily have a great chance of ever getting MLB teams; they're just the spectre that makes it acceptable for the A's to move 5 miles away from the closest existing BART station (and 2 miles away from the closest proposed BART station, Irvington or something).

From my point of view, if it does happen (which I honestly don't think is a 100% chance at this point), it will probably mean that I go to fewer A's games, since I rely heavily on public transit to get to the Coliseum.

Strangely enough, it will probably drive me to more Giants games, since I will still be able to hop on BART and walk to Phone Company Park from Montgomery. And by that time Bonds will be long gone -- so I might be able to bring myself to root for them a little bit.

Building a stadium in the suburbs is a stupid idea. Why can't cities like Oakland look at the examples of Baltimore and Cleveland -- and SF for that matter -- and see how building a stadium downtown revitalizes everything around it?

But, on the bright side, maybe the A's will build a beautiful stadium, and I'll look forward to getting a ride to escape Oakland and see the A's in their new, state-of-the-art, relaxing, baseball-y setting. Boy, that sounds weird.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oakland Park Baseball Forum Index -> MLB All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: