Oakland Park Baseball Forum Index Oakland Park Baseball
Show up every Sunday at 10:30 in parks in and around Oakland!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Worst team in MLB: SF Giants?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baseball=Life
Baseball Deity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Worst team in MLB: SF Giants? Reply with quote

Well, defend your team giants fans (good luck).

- Leo Durocher
tallguy
Cy Young

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there are four teams with a worse record right now: Kansas City (take that Scott!), Texas, Washington and Cincinnati.
If you're taking about our recent record, maybe. We're 2-8 for our last 10, but then, so are Baltimore. And just to show that last 10 doesn't always mean a lot, so are the Mets!

No, worst team in Baseball is the Royals, as usual.
Southpaw Slim
Kenesaw Mountain Landis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pittsburgh: see why here.
retep
Player/Manager

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say that they are the worst if you look at this season alone, as Paul points out.

I was going to say that the Giants might be the worst franchise, but I don't think so. Look at Texas and Baltimore--I think they are examples of very stale teams. They don't have the future the Giants can claim, as they have a excellent rotation locked up for the next 4-6 years. Woohoo!

getting back to this year... they might have the crappiest lineup around. Bonds is not the problem--it is not the Giants fault that Carlos Lee took less cash to play in Texas, for example. Bonds was the best power hitter on the market. The problem is Klesko/Aurilia/Robers.

Klesko would have been a good backup if we didn't already have Sweeney. We don't need two slow, LHB, LF/1B dudes. Aurilia offered nothing that Kevin Fransen could not have brought. And Dave Roberts.... well, we didn't need an older, more injury prone Randy Winn.

Pedro Feliz is not the problem--solid at 3B, and will hit 20 HR and 80 RBI. That's fine for a 7th place hitter, and we didn't break the bank on him.

Vizquel... He is still saving a hit a game it seems with his glove--he can hit .200 for all i care, though (and this sucks to say) this should be his last season in SF. He's a smart 8th place hitter, and we can affort to have him there because our catcher is an excellent hitter.

Molina--not much to complain about here! he's been money!

But Klesko/Aurilia are combined for 5 HRs. Hey, at least with J.T. Snow we got some defense outta the no-offense deal!

As far as pitching, it's not that bad on the starting end. Take Cain: he is 2-8, but with a 3.46 ERA. I think he has had about 6 starts with 2 or less runs of support. if the Giants had found there offense on just a few of his days, he is easily 5-5. Lowery and Morris have both had complete game losses. Ouch!

Our bullpen isn't that bad--at least on paper.
R Messenger, 2.23 ERA
K Correia, 3.00
V Chulk, 2.84
B Hennessey, 3.56
J Sanchez, 3.96
S Kline, 3.68

So, I know that a) ERA doesn't tell the story and that the Giants do have a terrible late-game record. That said, I think it is important to realize that it has not been as devastating as advertised. There is clearly a problem, but when you have 6 kinda-strong relivers, it gets hard to decide excatly what the problem is.

THE PROBLEM IS OFFENSE! Top two HR hitters, Bonds and Feliz, have 26 combined.

Ok, well, I'm done for now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oakland Park Baseball Forum Index -> MLB All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: