Oakland Park Baseball Forum Index Oakland Park Baseball
Show up every Sunday at 10:30 in parks in and around Oakland!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bonds takes the record... and Aaron

View previous topic :: View next topic  
retep
Player/Manager

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Bonds takes the record... and Aaron Reply with quote

So much for the speculation over what Aaron thought.
Baseball=Life
Baseball Deity

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure. A well-crafted, prepared public statement is rarely a reflection of someone's actual feelings.

- Leo Durocher
Blancito21
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His statement was prepared a month ago with "negotiations." His absence speaks volumes.
retep
Player/Manager

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh please. Hank Aaron wouldn't do a damn thing he wanted. Have you read his comments to the press before? He repeatedly stated that he didn't wanna go because of the travel and the maddening press around him. He has always wished Bonds well, and merely wanted to avoid the fires storm.

Heís 73óI know my 73 year old god-father has a hard time traveling around, much less on a plane every 3 days. Maybe Aaron didnít want to attend because he knows that no matter what he does, people are gonna turn it into an anti-Bonds thing, short of giving him a hug.

Iím gonna take Hank Aaron at his word, and not try to read anything into it. No one was expecting such a statement, and it would have been fine if he chose to stay out of it. I do not believe heíd go out of his way to make such a comment if he didnít believe it. Thatís why I disagree with you, Scottóhe didnít need to make that statement.
Joe shmoe
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what does this record really mean when both a-rod and/or pujols and/or cabrrera will destroy the record???

and it is so obvious that they are juicers!

thou a rod is a cheater he cheats in little ways like yelling HA!

and i dont believe that pujols is only 27, he just looks older like a solid 32 or so
retep
Player/Manager

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe shmoe wrote:
what does this record really mean when both a-rod and/or pujols and/or cabrrera will destroy the record???

and it is so obvious that they are juicers!

thou a rod is a cheater he cheats in little ways like yelling HA!

and i dont believe that pujols is only 27, he just looks older like a solid 32 or so

Way to use reason and evidence.
retep
Player/Manager

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I do know that you all will not believe his own words, but:

ATLANTA (AP) -- Hank Aaron might talk to Barry Bonds about the new home run record.

"Eventually, if I happen to see him somewhere, I'd probably say something to him," Aaron was quoted as saying on the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Web site Thursday night. "To be honest, I'm as happy for him as anybody."

ADVERTISEMENT
Aaron was asleep at his home in Atlanta when Bonds hit his 756th home run Tuesday night to break Aaron's mark.

"It was 1 o'clock in the morning," Aaron told the newspaper. "Heck, I'm not going to sit up and watch a baseball game. It's just like I wasn't going to be able to travel all over the world to watch. It wasn't being disrespectful or anything. It's just a matter of, hey, the body needed to go to sleep."

Aaron previously recorded a video congratulating Bonds, and it was played on the scoreboard at AT&T Park in San Francisco.

"I've gotten a lot of calls saying that was the right thing to do, and these were from people who know a little bit more about this situation than just the average person," Aaron said.

He heard from many people suggesting what he should do.

AP
"It really got to the point where a lot of people started wanting to give you advice about what you should do, and they didn't know what the hell the situation was," Aaron was quoted as saying. "I mean, these were people that you had been knowing for a long time, but they couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting involved in this thing. Then they would come forward and say things like, 'Well, you need to do this. You need to do that.' They wanted to give you all of this advice, and they didn't know what was all involved in it, really.

"That's the thing that really bothers you. Friends that you've had a long time are all of a sudden coming forth and telling you things like, 'Well, I don't understand why you aren't making comments, or why aren't you doing blah, blah, blah?' Well, you know what? You're not supposed to understand any of it, because you're not in it."
Baseball=Life
Baseball Deity

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post, whoops

Last edited by Baseball=Life on Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Baseball=Life
Baseball Deity

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your hyper-defensive attitude displayed in your remarks is really tiresome, Peter. "oh please" , etc. Sounds like typical partisanship, I'm not even a Bonds hater... give me a break.

- Leo Durocher
retep
Player/Manager

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baseball=Life wrote:
Your hyper-defensive attitude displayed in your remarks is really tiresome, Peter. "oh please" , etc. Sounds like typical partisanship, I'm not even a Bonds hater... give me a break.

Fair enough. But there is a "guilty until proven innocent" which has frankly been equally tiresome. And I know you're not a "hater," which made your rejection of the statement that much more exasperating, a sorta, "Oh, no! Not Scott too!" kind of feeling.

But sine you don't approve of prepared thoughts, what do you think of his comments to the Associated Press?
Baseball=Life
Baseball Deity

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks... his AP comments suggest to me that his feelings are unknown at best. It sounds like he'd prefer to not be asked about this stuff. It's sort of like Selig's position now... it's a no-win scenario. Support or defend Bonds and you're an accomplice to a cheater. Criticize and you're joining the severe critics (who ignore opponents' cheating) before the courts are done on the issue. It's too bad this wasn't dealt with (issue-wise) 10-15 years ago. We'd be in such a better position now, we'd at least feel more informed. I love watching Bonds, and I think the fact that the vast majority of people getting busted are pitchers says that, if anything, any cheating by Bonds only leveled the playing field.

- Leo Durocher
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oakland Park Baseball Forum Index -> MLB All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: