Oakland Park Baseball Forum Index Oakland Park Baseball
Show up every Sunday at 10:30 in parks in and around Oakland!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

google docs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oakland Park Baseball Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheLegend
Babe Ruth

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: google docs? Reply with quote

I mentioned to Nick a few weeks ago that it may be a good idea to host our stats and box scores on google docs instead of a local server. That way if someone's computer crashes we can still get our weekly serving of yummy statistical deliciousness.

thoughts?
Baseball=Life
Baseball Deity

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey if it works, let's fuckin do it because I hate sitting on these scoresheets and not being able to translate them into boxscores. My fear, and only Nick can confirm/deny this, is that it simply won't work because DefStAr doesn't know how to interact with google docs. I guess it would be a temporary solution to at least view the boxscores, if not the overall stats. I'm not really sure. I'll try to get Nick to check out this thread.

- Leo Durocher
TheLegend
Babe Ruth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even if it's just a temporary measure, I'm hereby volunteering to doing the legwork (or... fingerwork, as the case may be) of tracking stats on google docs. I will start with next game (yes, i know it's a live game) and keep them updated until Nick's computer is... whatever it is that Nick's computer needs to be.

and just to be clear: I will not be backtracking and/or attempting to enter the stats from the missed games this season (the fact that this was probably my worst season ever, didn't make this decision any harder)
AntMoOAK
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has there ever been any consideration of using an off the shelf stat tracker like http://www.allprosoftware.com/sb/screens/ ? (I'm sure there has)

It looks like it would be very easy for someone to import data and can be hosted on our or there website ? Even though it's $69.95, I don't think 10 of us or 20 of would mind contributing between $3 to $ 5 for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheLegend
Babe Ruth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow... that looks really awesome... i wouldn't mind pitching in for something like that
Texas23
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would pitch in for that program if it is a permanent alternative. Is it compatible with the website?

-----------
Curt
Joe shmoe
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would also be willing to chip in for it

also not to sidetrack this thread too much but i realized its now july and the season is over. will we be doing awards and if so how?
TheLegend
Babe Ruth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's an example of what our stats would look like on google docs:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pUnTC9Er__5XaCI24i0_5dQ

It'll probably take an hour or so each week for me to enter new games, new players and update the season stats.
TheLegend
Babe Ruth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just now realized that there's no way for people viewing these documents to sort them, so league leaders will have to handled slightly differently... i'll figure that out between now and sunday.
retep
Player/Manager

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would chip in as well!
Baseball=Life
Baseball Deity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I've been offline for a while due to being out of town. Anyway, I'm down with anything that will get us our stats. I'll pay cash as well. Oh, as for awards for last season, I'm open to any ideas. I don't really know what to do without stats to guide me. Maybe just vote without stats? Folks' memories are so short though.

Sorry it's been so fucked up. I wish it wasn't out of my control.

- Leo Durocher
Baseball=Life
Baseball Deity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntMoOAK wrote:
Has there ever been any consideration of using an off the shelf stat tracker like http://www.allprosoftware.com/sb/screens/ ? (I'm sure there has)

It looks like it would be very easy for someone to import data and can be hosted on our or there website ? Even though it's $69.95, I don't think 10 of us or 20 of would mind contributing between $3 to $ 5 for it.

Hey I bought this shit. I'm waiting for it to arrive so I can install. My computer's been kinda fucked up... it's somewhat stable. Anyway, I'll try to use the program for the next game and see what happens. Obviously I'll keep everyone posted, and if it works well, then the 7/17 live game should offer a good window of time to start doing the data entry. And there will be tons of data entry. I'm guessing 10-15 hours worth to rebuild the stats in a new program. I'm guessing the last year's worth of games will probably be about 2 hours. Anyway, hopefully the program will be good and the data entry hell can begin.

- Leo Durocher
AntMoOAK
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to see how it looks. I've not bee nto many games... but count me in to help re-imburse you for your outlay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blancito21
Perennial All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll hook you up as well.
Southpaw Slim
Kenesaw Mountain Landis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. Sorry about the delay for the reemergence of stats. System stability has been achieved, but keeping a dedicated connection online is still an issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oakland Park Baseball Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: